Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Blogging: you gots to start somewhere

There was a time when I scoffed at people who carried mobile phones. Now I own a BlackBerry (or ChuckBerry, as I affectionately call it -- I'm still not exactly sure how it works, but you gots to start somewhere).

I can remember seeing a documentary on TV from France where a small town was trialling something that was later to be known as an EFTPOS card, where shoppers would swipe a plastic card and enter a personal identification number to purchase their goods and services, in preference to handing over cash. 'That will never take off,' I scoffed. Nice call, scooter.

Facebook? That was never going to be for me. Never. Ever. Ever. That's a young person's thing, and not for me. Now I have over 260 'friends' and while I haven't plotted the median age, I'm guessing it would be late thirties to early forties.

Twitter? No never ever ever never. I'll go so far with this social networking craz(e)(i)ness but not there. Yeah, I'm now a Twit, though it's been a very slow start on that front. The sheer volume of some twits is quite staggering in comparison to my typical one-update-per-day, if that.

And now my advisers tell me that blogging is the way to go. Which sort of makes sense since I have a lot to say, and have said (and written) much in the past that's hanging around on various hard drives and floppy discs and compact and not-so compact discs.

How much of it will be of use and utility to the great washed and unwashed is debatable. But hey, this is cyberspace, so it might as well be out there, and parked in some lay-by on the information superwebzway, and time will tell if you (yes, you -- and possibly that person behind you doing the dishes) find it of interest.

Feel free to tell me what you think.

Cheers

Bill Quinn
Overheard Productions

No comments:

Post a Comment